History of Morland Hall

Morland Hall was built in 1861 as a private residence for Francis Atkinson, one of the leading Westmorland figures at the time. Unusually, it was constructed in bricks brought by train and cart from Claughton brick works near Kirkby Lonsdale, rather then the more traditional local stone. It remained in the Atkinson family until 1923 when the estate was purchased by George Morland Beck.

During the Second World War, the Hall saw service under Commandant Miss Dorothy Hartley, as a Red Cross hospital for wounded and shell-shocked troops – reportedly including the late Sir Harry Secombe.

The very cold winter of 1946-47 saw severe damage as burst pipes flooded the now deserted Hall. And in 1948 the roof of the Hall was removed and used to construct cottages at nearby Crossrigg Farm.

And so for the next half-century the Hall fell further into decay and ruin, until in 1999 the estate was purchased by the current owners. After extensive repairs and refurbishment, Morland Hall, Shorrock House, Torbock House and the Coach House have risen to become the family home and lovingly restored houses visible today.

For more information on the properties or if you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us directly.