Penrith

Penrith is a large town acting as a regional centre for the eastern Lake District, lying just outside the National Park. Its position on the strategic route to and from Scotland has resulted, since Roman times, in its development as a military centre. Penrith was once the capital of Cumbria. The attractive town is the hub of the Eden Valley. It is an important shopping centre, with a good mix of...
read more

Morland Choristers Camp

David Jones Morland, Penrith Cumbria, CA10 3EX Tel: 01931 714338 www.morland.org.uk Morland Choristers Camp is a residential summer course for choristers which takes places in the picturesque village of Morland in Cumbria. It was founded by the Revd Canon Gervase Markham in 1971, when he was Vicar of Morland and living in Morland House, and runs each year from the last Sunday in July to the first...
read more

Mill Yard Cafe

Wide range of delicious catering options from buffets and barbeques to banquets from our local chef. Robert & Sarah Kite The Square, Morland Penrith, Cumbria CA10 3AZ Tel: 01931 714155 info@millyardcafe.co.uk www.millyardcafe.co.uk
read more

Chronology of Morland Hall

1849 Francis Atkinson listed Morland Hall at building now known as Morland Hall Farm. 1859 No buildings on current site shown in Ordnance Survey map. 1855 Construction of new Morland Hall begins. 1861 Building completed – turret shows brick with date signed by Moses. 1873 G. Atkinson – Justice of the Peace in residence. 1894 The Reverend Francis Home Atkinson of St...
read more

Awarded Eden Conservation Prize

  In 2007 Morland Hall won the Eden Conservation prize, an initiative for the restoration and preservation of heritage sponsored by Eden District Council in Cumbria. The prize was awarded in view of the high quality of workmanship, attention to detail and the careful choice of materials. Eden District Council recognised that by the 1990’s demolition was a serious danger, but instead a...
read more

History of Morland Hall

Morland Hall was built in 1861 as a private residence for Francis Atkinson, one of the leading Westmorland figures at the time. Unusually, it was constructed in bricks brought by train and cart from Claughton brick works near Kirkby Lonsdale, rather then the more traditional local stone. It remained in the Atkinson family until 1923 when the estate was purchased by George Morland Beck. During...
read more